Monday, August 07, 2006

On the boards!

Whew! I arrived in Bariloche yesterday evening, 28 hours after leaving home. Since I had only gotten 4 hours sleep the night before I left, and only managed a few hours more during the time spent on planes and in airports, I was pretty exhausted. The hostel I have booked myself into (Hostel 41 Below) turned out to be awesome and filled with friendly people, so shortly after arriving I headed out with a group of travellers for some classic local food: steak and red wine. I could not believe the size of the steaks! I ordered a tenderloin and was amazed to find that the individual order included 3 steaks, each of which was as large you would get from a restaurant back in Canada. The wine and steak was incredibly tasty and I went to bed very full. I had debated taking the next day off to recover, but decided to head to the hill for a day of skiing. The season is going very well here and there we’re in the middle of a significant storm, so there is lots of powder to be had. Because of the storm it won’t be worth heading into the backcountry for a bit. (storms here come with very high winds). I had a great day of turns and managed to meet a few other folks keen to tour once the weather improves. I’ve been focused on hooking up with backcountry skiers and have a bunch of names and numbers to start with. It sounds like there are a number of backcountry skiers here so I think things will work out well. Last night I was exhausted. I slept for 12 hours and I’m taking today off to relax and get back on track. So far I really like Bariloche and can easily see myself spending the entire month based here.

Riding lifts at Cerro Cathedral

















The trees are beautiful down here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home